Interested in using one of our meeting rooms? The Library provides two meeting rooms and one conference/training room for use by the public when not being used for library programs.
Payment must be received before a room request can be approved/accepted. Also, a member of the reserving group must come in ahead of time and be trained on the A/V equipment.
Please read and agree to the Library's Meeting Room Policy below before making an online room reservation.
If you don't want to use our online room reservation system, you can download and print a hard copy of the Meeting Room Policy and Room Reservation Request Form here and bring it with payment to the Checkout Desk.
McHenry Public Library District Meeting Room Use Policy
The McHenry Public Library District (the “Library”) offers the use of its Meeting Rooms and Conference Room as a limited public forum primarily for the purpose of providing space for library-sponsored programs and meetings and secondarily for civic, informational, cultural and educational purposes. When the rooms are not being used by the Library or library-affiliated groups (like the Friends of the Library), they will be available for use by outside community groups and organizations. The following guidelines and procedures apply to all non-library-sponsored meetings and programs.
General Use Guidelines
Permission to use the meeting or conference room(s) does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the groups’ policies and beliefs. The Library reserves the right to supersede other meetings in the event of a room conflict and to cancel any scheduled meeting if circumstances warrant, such as in the case of an emergency closing. Persons listed on the Meeting Room Reservation Request Form will be contacted by telephone. It is the organization’s responsibility to contact members/public to inform them of the meeting cancellation.
- Groups creating excessive noise that would disrupt Library service
- Private parties/social events
- Meetings involving youth under the age of 18 without adult supervision
- Gambling or any illegal activities or sales presentations for general marketing purposes
- Non-library-sponsored events where money is changing hands. With the exception of Library activities, programs are prohibited if there is a charge for admission, if a collection is taken or if sales transactions are made.
Rooms Available/Capacities/Equipment Provided
The Library offers two (2) Meeting Rooms that can be combined into one large room, and one (1) smaller Conference Room.
In addition to tables and chairs, certain A/V equipment is available for use free of charge as outlined below.
The group or person reserving a Meeting Room is responsible for providing a qualified operator for any requested equipment. Instruction on operating the library’s equipment is required prior to the meeting/program. Library staff members are not available to operate equipment for outside groups during the meeting or program.
|Room Name/Number||Capacity||A/V Equipment Provided|
|Meeting Room East/135||40 using chairs only||
Wifi; overhead wireless projector; remote-controlled, wall-mounted screen; dry-erase board
|Meeting Room West/136||40 using chairs only||Wifi; overhead wireless projector; remote-controlled, wall-mounted screen; dry-erase board|
|Conference Room/124||(12 people if used as a computer lab/classroom or boardroom style; 20 for lecture/theater)||Wifi; overhead wireless projector; remote-controlled, wall-mounted screen; dry-erase board|
Attendance at a meeting may not exceed the maximum number of people certified by the Fire Protection District as the occupancy limit for the room.
|Room Use Fees|
|Not-for-profit organizations||$10 per event/room|
|For profit businesses & depositions||$25 per event/room|
Reservation Guidelines and Procedures
Requests can be made via hard copy or through the Library’s website (www.mchenrylibrary.org) using an electronic room reservation system (see instructions on next page).
Patrons wishing to use the public Meeting Rooms or Conference Room must complete a Meeting Room Reservation Request Form, available at the Checkout Desk or on the Library’s website (www.mchenrylibrary.org). The Library must receive a completed Meeting Room Reservation Request Form and payment for any room use fees before the reservation is approved/accepted.
A member of the Circulation staff approves all Meeting Room requests based on room availability and profit/nonprofit status. If necessary, the Library Director may approve certain room reservation requests.
Groups and individuals are limited to one meeting room reservation per month.
Reservations must be made at least 7 days prior to the requested meeting date.
Reservations may be made up to two months in advance. Reservations for the next calendar year may be made beginning September 1st.
Cancellations should be made as promptly as possible. The Library will only refund meeting room fees if the cancellation is made at least one week prior to the scheduled activity.
To Make an Online Reservation:
- Go to www.mchenrylibrary.org and click on USE THE LIBRARY>Library Services>Reserve a Meeting Room.
- After reading and accepting the Library’s Meeting Room Policy, you'll be directed to the current month’s room availability calendar. The default view is by month, but reservations can only be made in the “Day” view.
- The "Day" tab displays openings for the current day along with a choice of meeting rooms on the left. Hovering over the meeting room options will show capacity and available equipment. Also, choosing different meeting rooms will show different available times.
- Choose the appropriate size meeting room before selecting the desired time.
- Available times on the selected day will say “Open”. Check the appropriate boxes for the meeting time desired and then select “Continue” at the bottom of the screen.
- Next, fill in the reservation form (Name, address, telephone and email along with room setup information).
- Select “Review Request” to review the information entered and then select “Submit Request.” (To enter another request, select “Another Request” or choose “Home” to return to the Library’s homepage.)
- A submission email will be sent to the room requester. A confirmation or denial email will be sent within 3 business days.
- You can cancel an online reservation with your confirmation number using the online system.
Rules of Meeting Room Use
Any organization or group using the Meeting Rooms shall indemnify and hold harmless the McHenry Public Library District for any and all accidents that may be sustained on the premises resulting from the negligence of the group using the meeting room.
- Refreshments are limited to securely covered beverages.
- The Library maintains a drug free, alcohol free and smoke free environment. Individuals or groups using the Meeting Rooms are expected to uphold this policy.
- The Meeting Rooms are only available to outside groups during regular Library hours, beginning 30 minutes after the Library is open to the public. Groups must vacate the room 30 minutes before regular closing times. Requestor must be at least 18 years of age.
- The Library does not provide porter service to carry supplies or materials.
- No equipment, materials or supplies may be stored at the Library.
- Groups using the Meeting Rooms may not use the Library as the organization’s mailing address.
- Groups using the Meeting Rooms are responsible for any damage to Library furnishings, equipment or materials as outlined below:
Carpet cleaning/stains: $50.00
Other damage as reported: Actual repair cost
- The Library is not responsible for loss, theft or damage of property to any individuals or groups using the Meeting Room. This includes damage to materials such as DVDs, CDs or removable storage devices (“flash drives”) when played on library-owned equipment.
- In the event the Executive Director or the Library Board determines that police protection is needed to ensure the safety of the group or other Library patrons, they shall inform the group that all security costs and/or damage to Library property are at the expense of the group reserving the Library Meeting Room.
Americans With Disabilities Act
The McHenry Public Library District complies, to the best of its ability, with the regulations governing the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA). All meetings and programs held in the library public rooms are open to the general public. Any organizations or individuals using the facilities of the MPLD are expected to comply with any and all ADA regulations. As such, groups choosing to use these public rooms may be held responsible for providing sign language interpreters, information in large print format, providing enhanced amplification or other reasonable requests for ADA accommodation.
Meeting Room Reservation Request
When you click "Submit" (below), you will be taken to the Room Request page. Select the room, the date, and the time you want. Then click Continue, and complete the Contact Information.
Need to cancel an existing reservation? Click here and have your confirmation number ready.